I hadn't realized it'd been so long since my last post. I'm sorry to disappoint my regular readers. I don't know that I really have all that much to write about today, though...but I'll do my best.
As it probably won't surprise you, last Thursday and Friday were largely uneventful. Saturday, however, was a pretty busy day. I woke up somewhat early...probably around 8:00. I did the dishes, because they were in drastic need of being done. At about 10:00, I drove over to
Pasadena in order to get my car washed- because it hadn't been cleaned since sometime in late February. It was somewhat filthy, actually. Covered in bird crap, and black soot from the smog. Not to mention that the interior was piled high with old fast food wrappers and the like. So, it was past time for something to be done about it.
Now, you might be wondering, "Why drive all the way to Pasadena? Isn't there a carwash in
Montrose?" Well, yes there is. But the thing is, I'm rather a loyal customer in a lot of respects. That is to say, once I find a company that doesn't screw something up, I tend to give them my biznak until they do screw something up. And, by the same token, once a
company does screw up, they end up on my shitlist for time immemorial. Although, I have been tempted to return to Ikea because I am in need of a cheap bookcase. But I could just as easily get a cheap bookcase from Target or Office Depot or some other place that has never screwed me over before. I'm sure some people claim that I'm slightly neurotic about these things. For example, my wholly unfounded distrust of drive-thrus at fast food restaurants. I just like to be able to see them make the food, for some reason. I know...it's stupid.
So, anyway, after my car was cleaned by the joyful immigrants at Sparkle Car Wash, I headed over to the
VW dealer in an effort to try to determine the name of the company that supplied my after-market steel wheels that came with my Jetta, so that I could replace the hubcab stolen last November by some punk-ass in
West LA. I swear, if I ever find the person who did that, I will dispense full vigilante justice, the likes of which the world has never known. So, anyway, after talking to like eight different people there, I managed to discover that my wheels were supplied by some guy in
Costa Mesa. So, I'll have to drive down there to get them some Saturday.
Anyway, after that I came back home and did three whole loads of laundry. Hooray.
Saturday, I had this overwhelming desire for crab legs that has actually been around for about four months now. So, I decided that Saturday was the day to satisfy it. So, Margaret and I drove all the way down to
Newport Beach to eat at this restaurant called The Crab Cooker. Damn, those crab legs were good. Although, our waitress was stupid and didn't bring me anything to crack them open with. At first, I tried to tear them apart with my bare hands, but the little bumps were cutting deep into my flesh in a quite painful manner. So, I got up and asked another waitress for something with which to crack them open. She brought me something...then, a few minutes later, our waitress brought us two of them, even though Margaret wasn't eating crab legs. Whatever.
After dinner, we took the nifty little ferry over to Balboa Island. It was a quick 5 minute ride- not like the ferry on the Bodensee in Friedrichshafen, Germany. As a side note- I love that city. I've been there twice, and it kicks serious butt. They have this
Zeppelin Museum there (not for the band...), and they used to sell this beer called Fliegerbier, but when I was there last summer they told me that they had stopped making it. I was truly disappointed.
Anyway, Balboa Island was mostly closed up, because it was around 10:30 at night. I pointed out to her the house where my brother's parents-in-law live, then we stopped at the ice cream stand that just happened to be open. I got a frozen banana, covered in peanuts, but it wasn't all I'd hoped for. I almost choked to death on one of the peanuts, too. After that, we pretty much called it a night and went home.
As you know, Sunday was Mother's Day. Since my mother lives
thousands of miles away, she had to settle for a phone call instead of a personal visit. When I called, however, she wasn't home. You'd think she'd be waiting by the phone all day or something. But then I remembered that my aunt and uncle are currently visiting them, so they were probably out touring the island. So, I did manage to get a hold of her later in the evening, though.
Yeah, so last night I went to
church. Afterwards, Katie and I decided to go eat at
Rubio's. A couple other people joined us, and it ended up being really lame. I don't know what the problem was, but nobody was talking...everybody was just sitting there in awkward silence and Katie and I kept looking at each other, trying to figure out what to do about it. After we left, we agreed that it was a pretty lame, awkward experience.
So, that was more or less my weekend in a nutshell. Today was nothing special- just an ordinary Monday at
work. Wish I had more to report, but I'm going to end this post now. See you next time.