I'm sitting here staring at this screen wondering if I have anything to write about. My day was not too eventful, truth be told.
Unemployment tends to do that to you. Last year I made the observation that when one is unemployed it sort of feels as if every day is Saturday. Almost like I'm forced to live Saturday over and over until I get it right. I wake up at around 8:00 in the morning and it's Saturday. I then proceed to go about my day, doing things around the apartment, running errands, watching television...all the kind of stuff that employed people do on Saturdays. And then, around 11:00 or so I head off to bed and the next morning the alarm clock clicks on to the sound of
Sonny and Cher singing, "Just put your little hand in mine..." and I get up and do it all again. Clean up around the apartment, run some errands, surf the internet, watch TV, maybe go out to lunch or dinner with friends and then, at around 11:00 I go back to sleep. And then when I wake up, it's still Saturday.
I finally started searching for a job today. I didn't do all that much but I decided that it was time to get started, so I browsed some listings and saw some jobs for which I am considering applying. My dad's former boss at the
UCLA Career Center has given me access to the
jobtrak listings for UCLA, so that's a good resource.
I think the biggest thing in my mind at the moment is my natural tendency to second guess myself. I'm referring to this whole teaching credential program at
Cal State Northridge and wondering if it's truly the best path for me. There's this part of me that screams "Grad school, Matt! Go to grad school!" Dr. Matthew C. Stahl, Professor of History, does have a nice ring to it, but I'm not entirely sure if I'm up to the task of spending six years with my face buried in some ancient text in some library. Anybody with any insight into this matter, feel free to speak up.
On another note, I do not have to report for jury duty tomorrow either. I'm hoping to make it through the entire week without being called up. Not that I am trying to shirk my civic duty, mind you. I'm all about civic duty. In fact, tomorrow I plan on reporting the suspicious behavior of my middle eastern neighbors to the
FBI. Nobody who lives in an apartment needs THAT MUCH fertilizer!
(Dear FBI: That was a veiled criticism of the
Bush Administration. My neighbors don't really have fertilizer and are not behaving suspiciously. Please don't send any agents to my house.)