Me in the corner.
Wednesday, November 20, 2002
Damn if it isn't hot today. I guess that's one of the benefits of living where I do but, when it comes right down to it, I honestly prefer cooler weather. Of course, I'm not talking about the kind of weather they are currently experiencing in New England. That's most likely too cold for me. There's something to be said for being able to notice the passing of seasons, though. Today honestly feels exactly like it felt this summer. I don't quite know what to think of it.

At the moment, I am sitting here in my stifling hot apartment listening to some rare track by the Innocence Mission called "A Thousand Miles" from Mp3.com. I absolutely love this group, although it took me a while to come around to them. I first heard about them while in high school in 1991. My brother was quite obessesed with them and that, naturally, made me think that they were the stupidest band since Bread. In the early parts of the summer of 2000, however, I was at Best Buy in Pasadena, browsing through the CDs when I came across their newest release (at the time),
Birds of My Neighborhood. I glanced around to make certain that my brother wasn't somehow in the store (in spite of the fact that he lived in La Jolla at the time) and then secretly admitted to myself that they had actually always been "pretty good" and went and purchased the CD. They quickly moved up into my top three of preferred bands and the rest is history.

I just finished doing the dishes, since the sink was practically overflowing. I think that, this time, most of the dishes in the sink were mine. However, I remain convinced that the majority of the time, the opposite is true. But, no matter. The dishes are done.

Last night, I had my first official Thanksgiving dinner of the year at Zach Betters' house in San Gabriel. I realize it was a week early, but it was our second annual dinner...last year it was held at Shane Ross's and John's place. What we do is purchase those ready made Thanksgiving dinners from Ralph's or Vons or some such place. They're actually quite good and easy to make- the folks at Vons do all the work, and all we have to do is heat it up.

Incidentally, there was another "Matt's Dad Sighting" of sorts. It seems a friend of mine, Lisa Waldapfel, with whom I used to work at the ALC, currently works at some office near the UCLA Career Center. On Monday, my dad stopped by to visit the career center and she saw him, but didn't realize who he was until he left. I think the most random sighting of my dad in recent months, however, was when Shane saw him being interviewed in a documentary on mid-life career changes on PBS. Sightings of my dad have increased in frequency as of late, leading scientists to believe that perhaps he is moving more toward populated areas as his natural habitat is threatened by ever-increasing urbanization.
posted by Matt @ 4:13 PM


Days of yore

April 2002
May 2002
June 2002
July 2002
August 2002
September 2002
October 2002
November 2002
December 2002
January 2003
February 2003
March 2003
April 2003
May 2003
June 2003
July 2003
August 2003
September 2003
October 2003
November 2003
December 2003
January 2004
February 2004
March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
October 2006
May 2007
July 2007
October 2007
September 2009
Go look at these

Favorite links

More rad links to come!
Credits

Content © Matt Stahl
Currently Reading

I Am America (And So Can You!)
by Stephen Colbert