Well, this is nice. This is my first blog entry from my very own computer. I can sit here in the comfort of my own room and type away while listening to what is, in my opinion, one of the best albums ever. I'm referring to
Electro-shock Blues by the
eels. The problem prior to having this computer was that my copy of the album was so thoroughly scratched up that it was virtually unplayable on any normal CD player. However, the drive on this computer has a knack for recording scratched up CDs as high quality mp3s, thus enabling me to listen to this album without having to fast forward past skipping parts and so on. The same thing applies to my copy of U2's
The Joshua Tree.
The other day I mentioned that I was somewhat lazy in my music purchasing habits. Well, I am also equally lazy in taking care of the CDs that I do own. I'd say a large majority of them have some degree of damage to them. I don't know why I don't really take care of them. Seems like it's rather stupid on my part.
Anyway, the eels are one of my favorite bands. Unfortunately, I was extremely disappointed with their last album,
Souljacker. Of course, it's normal for bands to have ups and downs, with one album not being as strong as others. For example, while I admittedly don't know all that much about
The Beatles, I have heard that their album
Beatles for Sale was a pretty mediocre effort compared to their other albums. An example I can testify to, though, is
R.E.M. In 1994, they released the dreadful
Monster, an album that I still have trouble listening to all the way through. However their follow-up album,
New Adventures in Hi-Fi, is arguably their greatest effort to date.
So, I watched the final episode of
Joe Millionaire, despite the fact that I stopped caring after the second episode. I thought the ending was pretty lame. They gave him one million dollars and then they had about five minutes of irritating footage that consisted of him and Zora dancing. And the "The End" graphic at the end was a little cheesy also. And that wasn't really a "twist" of an ending or anything. They gave him a million dollars. Whoopee. And he has to split it with her. If they break up, then he gets 500,000. After
taxes, he'll end up with 300,000 or so. That will buy him a modest home in
Los Angeles and, after his fifteen minutes are up and he goes back to moving dirt around, he'll lose the house because he won't be able to afford the property taxes on his $20,000 salary.
A real twist would have been if, like, Zora was really a millionaire or something. Of course, then they'd have to script it so that he picked her. Or maybe all of the women could have been millionaires. I don't know.
At the moment, I ought to be reading some book that I have to write a paper on for a class tomorrow (or today, rather, since it's after midnight). I think I'll wait until this album is done playing, because it will be absolutely impossible for me to read while listening to music. Of course, it's pretty late so I'll probably end up falling asleep or something while I'm reading it on account of it's really boring material. That's why I'm sort of pretending it isn't there. The only thing worse than reading boring material is having to write a paper on said boring material, so I'm delaying both things as long as possible. Of course, I've got assloads of work to do for a class on Wednesday also, so I really need to get this finished. But there's only four more songs on this album so, once those are done I'll start reading. Or I'll go to bed and worry about it in the morning. I'm not sure yet.