Tales of Ennui
Yesterday was the midpoint of my Spring Break. I must confess, it's been none too exciting. I've spent most of the time watching DVDs, reading and wasting away the hours on this computer. My life has been filled with such excitement this week that I can hardly stand it. It's kind of funny that I'm actually eager for Spring Break to be over. Of course, I say that now...but also in the back of my mind is the nagging notion that next week I have two in class presentations to worry about. One of them is a group presentation. I'm sure I've mentioned before how much I hate group work, for a wide variety of reasons. Mostly, I hate depending on the quality of other people's work for my grade.
I majorly screwed my knee up Wednesday by slamming it on the coffee table while walking through the living room. I did that about twelve hours ago and damn it if it still doesn't hurt like nobody's business. To further add to my irritation, there has been this really annoying moth flying around my room for the past ten hours or so. All efforts to kill the bastard have met with utter failure and also resulted in me somehow further hurting myself. Overall it has just not been a good day, pain-wise. I still have not managed to kill the little bugger. He's still in here somewhere, and I'm slightly worried that he might crawl into my mouth or something while I'm sleeping.
I'm wearing a really tattered shirt right now. It's kind of sad, actually, because it used to be one of my favorite shirts and I used to wear it all the time. That's probably why it's so tattered. I have a tendency to keep clothes until they more or less disintegrate. Of course, there reaches a point with every item of clothing where I will only wear it around the house. If I wear too many tattered clothes while out doing things, people might tend to think that I am a homeless person. But then they also would probably give me money, so it might not be that bad.
For those of you who are wondering, I still have not gotten a hair cut. It is quite funny looking these days, but I'm not really all that concerned about it. I mean...it's not like I need to have a decent haircut while I'm attending school or anything like that. I know that there are those who are wishing I would just cut my damn hair...but you'll just have to wait. I'm trying something.
At any rate, I won't be around this weekend. I'm leaving Thursday to head down to
Coronado until sometime on Sunday. One thing I hate about going to Coronado is driving over that
scary ass bridge. I'll admit it doesn't look too scary from that picture, but it really is kind of a harrowing experience to drive over. One false move and your car could plummet over the edge into the water far below.
Back in the summer of 1993, I worked at a deli on
Camp Pendleton, delivering sandwiches. The owner of this deli also owned a catering truck (i.e., roach coach) business that operated out of Coronado. Well, during that summer he lost his catering contract with the
Navy at Coronado and so he had to get the catering trucks from there to
El Segundo. A friend of mine and I were told to go get the trucks and drive them all the way to El Segundo. Driving a huge catering truck over the Coronado Bay Bridge while the wind was blowing with great force was probably the scariest thing I've ever done. Equally frightening was driving that thing on the 405 freeway. I'm pretty sure that it was illegal for me to be driving a vehicle of that size. Not to mention the fact that it was nearly impossible to see if there were any other cars on the passenger side of the vehicle, as the mirrors were pretty much useless. So when it was time to change lanes, I just put the blinker on for about fifteen seconds and then merged over, hoping there would not be anybody there. If my boss hadn't been such a cheap bastard he probably would have hired professional drivers to do it. But, if he felt comfortable paying two teenagers minimum wage to risk their lives (not to mention the lives of other motorists) then I guess that's his prerogative.