Me in the corner.
Sunday, May 11, 2003
Feeling the Pressure

I have barely left my room all weekend because of all the loads of school work I have to do. I am pleased to say that my portfolio which is due Tuesday was finished last Thursday, so I'm actually ahead of the game on that. Tomorrow, I have to turn in a take home final for my Educational Psychology Class. It's not that difficult, really. I just don't want to go through all the trouble of writing the damn thing. But, it is something that I must do.

I originally had an assignment due this Wednesday, the 14th, for my Methods of Teaching Social Sciences class (that's the class I ranted about earlier this semester) but my professor cancelled that assignment, so I don't have to worry about it.

What I am worried about, however, is my portfolio for my stupid SED 514 class, Computers in Instruction. I hate this class. I think that, in my entire academic career, there has never been a class that I have hated this much. Not because it's difficult. Quite the opposite, actually. It's just this stupid class that teaches people who have never been on a computer in their life how to use it. Unfortunately, there is no way to test out of the class, and everybody has to take it. Anyway, the reason the class bothers me so much is that it's so arduous. There are ten assignments in the class, and each one can take up to four hours to do. Again, they are not difficult at all...just a real pain in the ass. I hate this class more than I hate Corey Haim. Anyway, being the procrastinator that I am, I've still got about four of these assignments left to do before May 21. Granted, that's plenty of time. I just don't fucking want to do them.

Oh well...complaining about it won't change the fact that I have to do them. To make matters worse, next Saturday I have to take the CSET so that I can start student teaching in the fall. It's this really long pain in the ass exam. They used to require people to take the PRAXIS, but the state created their own exam and replaced the PRAXIS with that. It takes like six hours...from everything I've heard, it leaves you completely exhausted at the end of it.

Last Friday I went to do a classroom observation for a tenth grade World History class at John Burroughs High School in Burbank. Essentially, it was a little peek into my future. It's a new classroom, and I was amazed at the amount of technology available to the students. The students were giving Power Point presentations...I'm not even sure there was such a thing as Power Point when I was in high school. Anyway, as I was watching their presentation, it occurred to me how irritating all these classes I have to take at CSUN are. I mean...why not just let me do it? Do I really have to take Computers for Morons in order to be able to teach in the classroom? Seems like a better way to train teachers would be a supervised practicuum that actually takes place in the classroom rather than sitting around in a class discussing all this bullshit theory about how people learn. There's something to be said for trial by fire.

At any rate, as I'm sure you know, today is Mother's Day. I've got to call my mother at some point. Last year, on my blog, I think I bemoaned the whole idea of Mother's Day. As I said then, it's not that I mind calling my mom. In fact, I rather like calling my mom at times. I just hate HAVING to call my mom because Hallmark tells me that this is the day that everybody must call their mom and if I don't call my mom on this exact day then I am a horrible son because they are Hallmark and they say that this is the most important day on which to call your mom.

I'm just waiting for the part where I get an e-mail from my dad admonishing me for not calling her yet, even though it's only 11 am in Hawaii.
posted by Matt @ 2:12 PM


Days of yore

April 2002
May 2002
June 2002
July 2002
August 2002
September 2002
October 2002
November 2002
December 2002
January 2003
February 2003
March 2003
April 2003
May 2003
June 2003
July 2003
August 2003
September 2003
October 2003
November 2003
December 2003
January 2004
February 2004
March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
October 2006
May 2007
July 2007
October 2007
September 2009
Go look at these

Favorite links

More rad links to come!
Credits

Content © Matt Stahl
Currently Reading

I Am America (And So Can You!)
by Stephen Colbert