Me in the corner.
Thursday, June 19, 2003
Leaving On A Jet Plane

Well, Shane and Erika are currently on a plane, on their way to Europe. Soon, I will also be on a plane, on my way to Europe as well. We're not going to the same place, however. Nor for the same reasons. They are going for purely selfish reasons, while I am going to help people. I am going to be in Frankfurt for a few days at the end of the trip, however, and it is possible that I might see them there.

My plane leaves in approximately 8 hours. I am, at last, all packed. I decided to pack very light this time. I'm only taking one bag and my carry on. Hopefully I am not underpacked. Once I'm there, however, there's not much that can be done about it. I have packed a few extra items of clothing in my carry on, because luggage occasionally tends to get lost on its way to Kosovo.

This is my second time going to Kosovo, and I'm pretty excited about it. Last time I was there, in the summer of 2001, I was involved in the construction of a medical clinic in the small village of Semitisht. The project this time is a little bit different.

This year we will be working in the city of Suva Reka, assisting with the establishment of an English language institute. The University system in Kosovo is extremely corrupt and students are often only admitted after paying a series of bribes. As a result, many of the poorer students are unable to gain admittance to a university.

World Servants, an organization based in Minnesota, has been working closely with the leaders in the city of Suva Reka in order to establish an institute where these poorer students can receive some form of post-secondary education. Our team from Lake Avenue will be assisting with this endeavor this summer. Our goal for this year is to complete the construction and refurbishing of several classrooms that will be used for this purpose.

I'm sitting here looking at my big ugly brown bag that has been with me on several trips. This bag has gone with me as I have backpacked across Germany, Italy, Switzerland and France, wandered through the United Kingdom, served as a camp counselor in New Zealand, passed through Albania, helped build the aforementioned clinic in Kosovo, and had more fun than a person has a right to at Oktoberfest in Munich. The bag is looking somewhat worse for all the wear, and something tells me that this might be the bag's last trip. Most of the straps are broken, the zippers quite often get stuck, and it is quite dirty, even after having been washed several times. Obviously, this ugly brown bag holds a great deal of sentimental value. I guess I'd better make its last trip a good one.
posted by Matt @ 1:05 AM


Days of yore

April 2002
May 2002
June 2002
July 2002
August 2002
September 2002
October 2002
November 2002
December 2002
January 2003
February 2003
March 2003
April 2003
May 2003
June 2003
July 2003
August 2003
September 2003
October 2003
November 2003
December 2003
January 2004
February 2004
March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
October 2006
May 2007
July 2007
October 2007
September 2009
Go look at these

Favorite links

More rad links to come!
Credits

Content © Matt Stahl
Currently Reading

I Am America (And So Can You!)
by Stephen Colbert