Me in the corner.
Wednesday, June 18, 2003
No Sleep 'Til Kosovo

When one is working as a brand new substitute at the very end of the school year, it can tend to be a little frustrating. I've discovered that the only real positive feedback a substitute receives is to be called again. They don't really tell you on the day you were there how you did, and they don't really call you up later to let you know. You just kind of have to wait until the next call to find out if they were satisfied. Since teachers rarely miss school during the last week, I figured I'd have to wait until September to find out if I was still welcome in South Pasadena.

Well, this morning I received a call from the 4/5 grade teacher for whom I subbed last week, who is serving as the principal at South Pasadena High School for summer school. She told me that they were in need of somebody to teach a ninth grade remedial math course for summer and wanted to know if I would be available to do so. I told her I would love to do it, but that I am going to be out of the country from June 19 until July 2. She then asked if I would be willing to do it starting July 3, provided they could find somebody to cover for me the first week. I told her yes, and she said she would call me back later today. So, I'm still waiting to find out what happens. I told her I was leaving at 4:00 tomorrow morning, so hopefully she will get back to me today.

So, yesterday I drove down to Vista for the keen shindig at Erika's parents' house. There were loads of fun people there, some of whom I'd not seen for quite a while. The party lasted until about 9:00, at which time a whole mess of us went over to Ryan and Mandy Yingst's house. The menfolk gathered in the living room for a screening of Die Another Day, while the womenfolk went in the other room to knit or whatever it is women do. It was the first time I'd seen a James Bond film since Goldeneye. I'm not really a big fan of the Bond franchise. This one was a little over the top on some of the stunts and narrow escapes, but it was pretty entertaining. I was not too impressed with Halle Berry's performance and, actually, I found Rosamund Pike to be much more to my liking as far as attractiveness goes.

I left soon after the movie was over, bidding a fond farewell to Shane and Erika who are leaving for Europe tonight. I got home at about 3:00 in the morning and promptly went to sleep. I was awoken at 7:20 am by the phone call I mentioned above. It was a good thing because I was supposed to meet Ryan Cox and John Lin for breakfast at Marston's in Pasadena. I didn't really like Marstons. The food wasn't too great and it was a little too expensive.

I've been running around like the proverbial beheaded chicken today. I went to Vons, to the bank, and am now doing laundry so that I can get packed. I tried to make my tuition payment for next semester online, but the system didn't seem to be working too well. The payment is due July 1, but I'm not about to try to make an online payment from Kosovo. I think I'll just complain that the system was jacked if they charge me the late fee.

Incidentally, I'm not sure if I mentioned it or not...but last month I had to take this somewhat grueling exam called the CSET. It's a new test that the state of California requires you to take to prove that you know enough about a particular subject to be able to teach it. They used to require the SSAT and the Praxis, but the CSET has replaced both of those.

Anyway, I took the social studies test, which consisted of 118 multiple choice questions and nine essays...all of which had to be completed in five hours. I got the results, and it turns out that I passed it. That's a relief, because it was somewhat difficult, and I wasn't looking forward to having to take it again if I hadn't passed.

Well, I've got to go put my clothes in the dryer now. I don't really wanna be Guy Who Leaves His Clothes In The Washing Machine For 2 Hours. If you're good, I'll write another entry before I leave.
posted by Matt @ 3:17 PM


Days of yore

April 2002
May 2002
June 2002
July 2002
August 2002
September 2002
October 2002
November 2002
December 2002
January 2003
February 2003
March 2003
April 2003
May 2003
June 2003
July 2003
August 2003
September 2003
October 2003
November 2003
December 2003
January 2004
February 2004
March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
October 2006
May 2007
July 2007
October 2007
September 2009
Go look at these

Favorite links

More rad links to come!
Credits

Content © Matt Stahl
Currently Reading

I Am America (And So Can You!)
by Stephen Colbert