Me in the corner.
Tuesday, July 15, 2003
I Will Fight No More Forever

It's kind of odd how one can occasionally need to take a break from writing in one's weblog. It's not that it's really a particularly difficult task, or even that it really takes all that much effort...it's just that sometimes it's hard to make yourself sit down and write something. I imagine that many of you are anxiously awaiting stories of my first experience in the classroom. I'm not sure what to tell you other than that it has been an altogether frustrating experience. It hasn't been discouraging or anything...just frustrating.

The thing is, I firmly believe that students can detect the scent of "new, inexperienced teacher" and thereby behave accordingly. My situation is further complicated by the fact that for the first week of class, they had three substitute teachers. When I arrived, I really didn't have time to lay down a discipline plan. It's kind of a unique situation. I'm dealing with remedial students, teaching a subject that they don't want to take, and I haven't yet gotten the hang of doling out discipline. If anything, this is really good experience for me, and it will make all future classes seem perfect.

There was one shining moment yesterday when a student who had been pretty much clueless about the stuff we've been doing (graphing linear equations) suddenly learned figured out how to do it and was able to graph any equation I gave her. That was the highlight of my week.

Tomorrow I have to figure out how to deal with a group bullying incident that took place today. I talked to the kid who was the target of it after class today and he told me it's been going on since summer school started...and, in fact, it's been going on since last year when they were in junior high school. I'm trying to think of the best way to handle it.

The funny thing is that, when I was in seventh, eighth and ninth grade, I was a bit of a bully myself...tormenting those lower than me on the pecking order in order to relate to those higher than me on the pecking order. Of course, I was also picked on, in turn. I was far from being at the top of the pecking order, so I got as much as I gave. I was a scrawny little thing and attempted to make up for that by tormenting those who would take it. The fact is that any one of the kids I tormented could have easily beat me to a pulp. But, for some reason, they never did.

Anyway, I'm trying to think about what a teacher could have said to me at that point in order to make me stop. So far, I'm not coming up with anything.

From my now adult mindset, I'm looking at the whole thing and not quite understanding the mentality behind it all. I mean, what pleasure can possibly be derived from driving another kid to tears. I guess at the time it was a power thing...and a desire to be accepted by others.

I remember in ninth grade I drove this poor kid to the point of tears. In a fit of rage he attempted to attack me. He swung at me and missed. The substitute saw him swing at me and busted him for that, without even trying to figure out if I deserved it...which I most certainly did. The point is that seeing this kid get in trouble for something that was really my fault was the turning point when I decided that my bullying days were over.

It's odd how I just kind of realized that on my own. I think that seeing his fists of fury fly toward me made me realize that I lacked the brute strength necessary to back up my actions. It occurred to me that one day I could very well be viciously pounded into the ground and never be able to walk again.
posted by Matt @ 11:37 PM


Days of yore

April 2002
May 2002
June 2002
July 2002
August 2002
September 2002
October 2002
November 2002
December 2002
January 2003
February 2003
March 2003
April 2003
May 2003
June 2003
July 2003
August 2003
September 2003
October 2003
November 2003
December 2003
January 2004
February 2004
March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
October 2006
May 2007
July 2007
October 2007
September 2009
Go look at these

Favorite links

More rad links to come!
Credits

Content © Matt Stahl
Currently Reading

I Am America (And So Can You!)
by Stephen Colbert