Me in the corner.
Tuesday, September 09, 2003
That's MISTER Costanza To You!

I have more or less given up hope that I will be given a student teaching assignment at South Pasadena Middle School this semester, as I have not yet heard anything from the district office, in spite of repeated calls regarding the issue. So, I spoke to my professor at school today and he said that he'll find another placement for me within the next couple of days...probably at Arcadia High School. That's not necessarily that convenient for me but since I took a gamble on being placed in South Pasadena, I can't really be picky since I've already missed the first week of school. Oh well...that kind of thing always happens to me, so I don't know why I expected that this time it would be any different.

I haven't been doing much over the last couple weeks. In fact, I've felt a little bit like George Costanza. Last week was pretty depressing...nothing seemed to be going right. I think this week is better...so far. I've been managing to get out of the house more, after spending most of the weekend indoors. On Saturday, I watched the first two episodes of Band of Brothers. That didn't do much to make me feel useful. There I was...sitting on my ass, watching the story of men who liberated Europe when they were younger than I am.

The hazy fog of indifference started to clear Sunday night, when I went to church, and then headed out to B.J's in Monrovia with several people. And last night, after getting home from class, I met Kevin Maynard at Denny's in Pasadena. We were there until about 12:30 in the morning, discussing a wide variety of topics. It's been quite a while since I've had one of those late night Denny's experiences...mostly because I try to avoid Denny's as much as possible.

Today was a pretty good day at school...mostly because I finally decided to give up on waiting for South Pasadena. I think my professor was glad I made that decision. I guess there's still a chance that they could call before he arranges another placement for me, but I'm not really holding my breath for that to happen.

After class tonight, I drove back over to Pasadena and went to Shane Ross and John Lin's house. It's been quite some time since I've actually been there...maybe about two months. That's a little odd considering I used to go over there a couple times a week.

At the moment, I'm sitting here listening to all of my R.E.M music...because tomorrow night is the night of nights. Yes, tomorrow I will be going to see my favorite band play live at the Hollywood Bowl. It's been more than four years since I last saw them play. Some of you are no doubt thinking that their moment has passed and they should just gracefully give up. Fie on you, I say! Anyway, suffice it to say that I am looking forward to it...and I am also looking forward to seeing Wilco, who will be opening for them. It promises to be a good show.

I was going to take my friend Angelica Ochoa along with me to see the show, as she is kindly providing me with a ticket to see Radiohead on September 26. However, she ended up having to go out of town for the next couple weeks so, I decided to invite another friend, Amanda Chase. I accidentally let it slip that she hadn't been my first invitee, but I think she already could figure that out since I just called her kind of last minute.

If any of you were planning on calling me up this weekend to invite me out, you might as well save yourself the trouble as I am going to be out of town. Unfortunately, I'm not heading anywhere glamorous like Victoria or Germany or anything like that. I'm not even fortunate enough to be going to Irvine.

No...this weekend I will be traveling to Fresno, in order to attend a party celebrating my paternal grandmother's 90th birthday. I can't even imagine what it would be like to be 90. I mean...that's so old. I imagine I'll be 90 someday...assuming I live that long. But I can't imagine what I would be like. I'm already somewhat of a curmudgeon and I imagine it can only get worse. I hope I'm not the kind of old person who refuses to use ATM machines or whatever newfangled technology we have then.

Speaking of newfangled technology... my web browsing has now been made much easier with the downloading of the google toolbar. This convenient toolbar allows me to do a google search from any site, create a blog entry without having to go to blogger and, best of all, it blocks those annoying pop up ads that are the bane of every internet user's existence. (Before anybody deems to inform me that the Mozilla browser blocks all pop ups on its own, let me just say...I know.)

Well, that's all for now. Sorry if this entry was dumb.
posted by Matt @ 11:41 PM


Days of yore

April 2002
May 2002
June 2002
July 2002
August 2002
September 2002
October 2002
November 2002
December 2002
January 2003
February 2003
March 2003
April 2003
May 2003
June 2003
July 2003
August 2003
September 2003
October 2003
November 2003
December 2003
January 2004
February 2004
March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
October 2006
May 2007
July 2007
October 2007
September 2009
Go look at these

Favorite links

More rad links to come!
Credits

Content © Matt Stahl
Currently Reading

I Am America (And So Can You!)
by Stephen Colbert