A Moveable Feast
Since I have never done so, I decided that it would be appropriate for me to write an entry from my hometown of Fallbrook. See, my brother's in-laws recently sold their home on Balboa Island and decided to move to Fallbrook, where they purchased a rather nice house. I honestly never thought I'd spend another Thanksgiving here in Fallbrook but...here I am. I am sitting at the computer down in their basement (where I am sleeping tonight). I think that everybody else has gone to sleep...I just wanted to write something before I went to bed.
I like it down here. In Fallbrook, I mean...not the basement. (Although, don't get me wrong, the basement is quite nice. It's a little cold, but that's to be expected). Every once in a while I get fed up with living in Los Angeles and think that maybe, just maybe, I might like to return home. I'm never sure if it is simply a sense of nostalgia that occasionally draws me back here or if I would actually be more happy here. Occasionally, I entertain thoughts of being That Guy Who Returns to Teach at His Old High School. But the thing is...I'm fairly certain that things would not be as I expected them to be. There's an old adage of which I am sure we are all familiar: You can't go home again.
If you try to go home again, in an effort to recapture that carefree feeling of your youth, you'll no doubt find that things have changed. Nothing will be as you expect, and you could up disappointing yourself in the end.
Thanksgiving was great, as always. My brother, Erich; his wife, Jaime; and little Emelia were here, along with several members of Jaime's extended family. Alyson and Sawyer spent this Thanksgiving with their mother...I guess she and my brother alternate years for holidays. At the moment, I am still quite stuffed. I managed to eat a slice of pie about an hour ago, but I don't think I could eat anything else. I don't know if it has anything to do with getting older but it seems as if, each year, I eat less and less on Thanksgiving. I didn't even go back for seconds today.
Well, over the next two days I hope to visit several different friends in this area. Shane and Erika, whom I haven't seen since they left for Europe in June. As a matter of fact...I haven't seen anybody from down here since June. I also will be seeing Tisra Fadely at some point, who is visiting here from Nashville. But, for now, I am simply going to go to sleep and let my dreams be shaped by the inevitable indigestion that is certain to strike.