14:59
Today I received my final evaluation for my student teaching assignment at
Kennedy High School. Not that I'm done teaching, mind you. I still have to stay at the high school until January 29, when their semester ends. But, unless I do something stupid like just stop showing up, then I have officially passed the first student teaching practicum. That's quite a relief. It was particularly interesting to compare my final evaluation with my previous evaluation of several weeks ago, revealing how much I have improved without even realizing it.
My university supervisor and master teacher both say I have very good classroom management skills...as you may recall from my teaching experience this summer at
South Pasadena High School, that was my weakest area...getting those damned ninth graders to shut the hell up. Now it's all good. Of course, one could point out that seniors are probably easier to control than freshmen, but I choose not to take that into account at this time.
While I am eager to finish up this teaching assignment, I'm also kind of bummed about it. I really like my students...all of them. I remember when I was in
high school, my physics teacher really seemed to have a difficult time at the end of the school year. Most of his students were seniors and would, therefore, be graduating...going on to bigger and better things. Most of them he would probably never see again. It's kind of sad when you think of it like that.
In other news,
yours truly was recently featured in an article from a magazine that is published by
CSUN. Seems one of their reporters was writing an article about blogging, and did a google search for CSUN students who have blogs. He sent me an e-mail and asked if he could interview me. I agreed and met him on campus about two months ago. The article is not ALL about me, but I do receive quite a few mentions.
You can read the article at
this page. I must warn you that it takes quite a bit of time for that page to load, and the navigation from page to page is not so great. There's no "next page" button- you have to go back to the index page and then click on the next page. Just go there and you'll see what I mean. The article begins in the 27th panel, and is about four pages long.
So, I guess that constitutes my fifteen minutes of fame.