Me in the corner.
Wednesday, December 03, 2003
The Proverbial Light at the Proverbial End of the Proverbial Tunnel

One by one, the stresses of my life have been lifted off this week. On Monday night, I gave a forty minute group presentation for my Equity and Diversity class, which was my final project for that class. My portion was only ten minutes, so it's not as bad as it sounds. But still, it was a lot of work. Initially, I had a paper due for that class on the same day. At any rate, after Monday night, that class was over...and not a moment too soon. I was so fed up with that class I don't think I could have endured another session of it.

Then, on Tuesday I had a huge-ass project for my Literacy in Multi-Ethnic Schools class. Of course, I saved it until the last minute (i.e., I started it on Tuesday at about 11:00 in the morning and finished it at about 5:00 that evening and headed to class about an hour late to turn it in. That class still has one more session next week, but it's basically done.

And, today I had a four page paper due and a final exam in my Inclusive Education class. I wrote the paper this afternoon and studied for the exam while watching an episode of The Shield on Tivo. I wasn't worried about the exam at all, since the midterm had been a piece of cake. Sure enough, the final was quite simple and I finished it in about 30 minutes.

Through all of this, I have still had to prepare lesson plans and work the occasional late-night shift at my part-time job, which I just realized I haven't mentioned on here yet. Basically, I decided that the student loan monies would not be enough to carry me through the year. I actually enjoy working there. The work is pretty mindless, actually. While I'm there I literally shut my brain off for the entire 8 hours. I don't have to worry about anything other than what I'm doing at the moment...I think it's almost a Zen thing for me.

Today I led my class in a spirited discussion about voter apathy. Normally, when I try to engage them in discussion they just kind of sit there and don't say much at all. It's funny, but now I understand how my teachers felt when they tried to get us to talk and we steadfastly refused. At any rate, they were really involved in the discussion today, passionately discussing all the reasons why they would or would not vote if they were eligible.

I've still got my eye on the calendar, anxiously awaiting the arrival of December 19, when Kennedy High School's winter break begins. I need at least a week free of responsibilities. I'm trying to devise a list of things to do during the break. I think I'll stop by the Getty, since I've lived in Los Angeles for four years now and never visited there. Maybe I'll also take the Gold Line down to Union Station and head over to Olvera street...catch a glimpse of the history of L.A. I'd like to get out of town for a few days also. I've only been out of town twice since returning from Canada. One of these excursions was my less-than-two-day trip to Fresno in September. The other was my trip down to the Fallbrook, Vista area over Thanksgiving.

The trip down there was great, but it all felt a little rushed. I spent Thanksgiving with my brother and his in-laws. The day after Thanksgiving, Alyson and Sawyer were there also, having been dropped off by their mom before I woke up. Friday afternoon, I headed from Fallbrook to Vista to see Shane and Erika, whom I have not seen since June. I also got to see Ryan Yingst for about forty minutes, Tisra Fadely for about ninety minutes, and Adam Young for about sixty minutes. I would have liked to seen more of all of these people, but everybody was just busy, it seemed. Shane and Erika bought a house in Vista, and I helped them move stuff from storage into the house. It's a pretty cool little house...a bit of a fixer-upper, but I guess that's part of the fun of it all.

It really was a whirlwind trip down there...it seemed too short. All the quick visits with everybody are blurred with images of trying to help my sister-in-law overcome her addiction to Sim City 3000, eating a not-too-appetizing dinner at Islands, and watching Crocodile Dundee (1 AND 2!) with Erika's dad.

So, I guess I'd best get to bed, as I've got more teaching to do tomorrow. Not to mention that I have to work tomorrow night. On Friday, I'm going to be pretty exhausted. I can already tell.
posted by Matt @ 11:06 PM


Days of yore

April 2002
May 2002
June 2002
July 2002
August 2002
September 2002
October 2002
November 2002
December 2002
January 2003
February 2003
March 2003
April 2003
May 2003
June 2003
July 2003
August 2003
September 2003
October 2003
November 2003
December 2003
January 2004
February 2004
March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
October 2006
May 2007
July 2007
October 2007
September 2009
Go look at these

Favorite links

More rad links to come!
Credits

Content © Matt Stahl
Currently Reading

I Am America (And So Can You!)
by Stephen Colbert