Me in the corner.
Wednesday, March 31, 2004
March, in A Nutshell

Part of the problem is that, in order for me to be inspired to post something, there has to be something going on in my life worth posting about. There has not been that much to speak of this month. As you know, I withdrew from the credential program for a variety of reasons. Over the last month I have, at various times, felt both good and bad about that decision.

I've been subbing fairly regularly this month, teaching classes ranging from Kindergarten to AP Biology at South Pasadena High School. It's been going fairly well, although there are some classes that are better than others. I'm sure that I have all sorts of interesting stories to tell about my experiences subbing but, since I waited so long to post, I'm not going to write about them all now. So, you'll just have to take it for granted that I have had interesting experiences subbing this past month.

As it happens, I turned thirty this month. I couldn't believe it. I still can't believe it. My life is nothing like I pictured it would be at the age of thirty. As a child, I thought I'd have it all together and everything would have fallen into place by now. I never imagined that I'd be just as confused as ever.

Out of curiosity, I decided to do some research and see what other people had accomplished at or around the age of thirty.

In 1990, at the age of thirty, Jason Alexander appeared on the first episode of Seinfeld, which would later become one of the most successful television shows of all time.

In 1804, at the age of thirty, Merriwether Lewis led the Corps of Discovery on a two year journey to explore the newly acquired Louisiana Purchase. He did this after having already served as President Jefferson's personal secretary.

In 1594, at the age of thirty, William Shakespeare had already established himself as a successful and respected poet and, in December of that year, produced and staged his first play, The Comedy of Errors, in London.

In 1736, at the age of thirty, Benjamin Franklin became clerk of the Pennsylvania General Assembly and the next year was appointed deputy postmaster of Philadelphia. This was after he had successfully established the first public library in America, and had already been publishing Poor Richard's Almanac for four years.

In 1947, at the age of thirty, John F. Kennedy was serving as the Congressman from the 11th Congressional District of Massachusetts. This was after having survived the sinking of his boat by the Japanese in the South Pacific during World War II by swimming to a small island that was three miles away.

Those are all things that I have failed to do by the age of thirty. I have not starred on a television show, written any plays, founded any public libraries, explored any wild frontiers, or been elected to Congress.

So...I celebrated my birthday on the night of March 19 with several friends at the Red Lion Tavern in Silver Lake. It was fun...but while I was inside the restaurant celebrating the day of my birth, some more-than-likely coked up thief decided that it would be a good time to smash the passenger window of my vehicle and steal all my possessions from the inside of my car. The first time in my life that I was the victim of a crime and it happened to be on my thirtieth birthday. It was pretty upsetting, to be sure.

But, I guess I can take comfort in knowing that Ben Franklin's car was never burglarized on his birthday.
posted by Matt @ 11:40 PM


Days of yore

April 2002
May 2002
June 2002
July 2002
August 2002
September 2002
October 2002
November 2002
December 2002
January 2003
February 2003
March 2003
April 2003
May 2003
June 2003
July 2003
August 2003
September 2003
October 2003
November 2003
December 2003
January 2004
February 2004
March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
October 2006
May 2007
July 2007
October 2007
September 2009
Go look at these

Favorite links

More rad links to come!
Credits

Content © Matt Stahl
Currently Reading

I Am America (And So Can You!)
by Stephen Colbert