Me in the corner.
Tuesday, June 01, 2004
A Post Hardly Worth Reading

I have spent approximately 17 of the last 24 hours either asleep or laying on the couch watching Law & Order. It wasn't how I originally planned on spending my Memorial Day, but I was struck with a strange illness sometime on Sunday afternoon. It's either the flu or some mild strain of the ebola virus...I'm not sure which. I have a sore throat, a slight fever, coughing, fatigue, and that dull ache all over. I'm not bleeding from the eyes, however, so that leads me to believe it is just the flu.

I am still not one hundred percent better. At this point, my ears are all clogged up and I can't hear a thing. Fortunately, South Pasadena schools are not in session today, so I can take another day to try to get better.

I already have a sub assignment for Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, so that is good for me- hopefully I'll be well enough to do it.

I'm going to be covering for the AP Biology teacher at the High School. Those are the kind of gigs that are really sweet. The students do exactly what they're supposed to and you don't have to constantly sit on them to get them to do their work.

Unlike last week, when I was covering for a sixth grade social studies class at the middle school.

South Pasadena Middle School is on a block schedule, which means the periods are 97 minutes long. Trying to keep complete control of a class of junior highers for 97 minutes as a substitute is quite challenging. While block scheduling has been demonstrated to improve overall test scores, and allows regular teachers the opportunity to cover topics in more depth, for a substitute, however, it can be hell.

The students normally spend the first ten minutes of the period testing you to see what you will let them get away with. If you don't crack down during that time, you might as well just lay down and let them stomp on your head. It can be subtle at first. A whisper here, a note passed there...and before you know it there are desks flying across the room, the trash can is on fire, and the class nerd is hanging from the ceiling by his belt buckle- all in the brief amount of time in which you were looking for the chalk to write your name on the board.

So, as I said, this week I am going to be living the good life subbing for the AP Biology students. I could probably even bring a little mattress with me and sleep under the desk or something. It would be all the same to them.

I've been trying to land a job for the fall without having to complete my final semester of student teaching but, as of yet, have had no luck. With budget cutbacks, the unfortunate No Child Left Behind Act, and the surplus of fully credentialed social studies teachers, it appears that plan is not going to pan out, so I might have to just suck it up and finish the credential the old-fashioned way in the fall.
posted by Matt @ 8:42 AM


Days of yore

April 2002
May 2002
June 2002
July 2002
August 2002
September 2002
October 2002
November 2002
December 2002
January 2003
February 2003
March 2003
April 2003
May 2003
June 2003
July 2003
August 2003
September 2003
October 2003
November 2003
December 2003
January 2004
February 2004
March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
October 2006
May 2007
July 2007
October 2007
September 2009
Go look at these

Favorite links

More rad links to come!
Credits

Content © Matt Stahl
Currently Reading

I Am America (And So Can You!)
by Stephen Colbert