Me in the corner.
Wednesday, August 25, 2004
Rapid Eye Movement

While I'm fairly certain that most of the people who read this probably couldn't care less, I must admit that I am as giddy as a school girl over the impending release of this album, due out on October 5.

(Picture removed because it was slowing down loading time.)

Some naysayers might boldly proclaim that R.E.M have long since passed their prime. To you I can only say, "Fie! Fie on you and your bold naysaying!" Just because their albums no longer sell as much as they once did and just because they no longer get as much radio play as they once did does not mean that they are no good. This is especially true when one considers the amount of crap out there that is popular. Bands such as Creed, Limp Bizkit, the Offspring, Korn, the Bee Gees- or whatever else the kids are listening to these days- pale in comparison.

I've never really considered myself to necessarily be a connoisseur of fine, lesser known bands, like Alex. I'm not the kind of person who exclusively seeks out local bands with strange names such as "The Don Knotts Overdrive," "The Fine Young Hasselhoffs," or "Simon and Garfunkel." I don't wear ironic girl scout t-shirts or black rimmed spectacles through which I look down upon those who have never heard the fine music of "The Brooklyn Love Muscles." And, while I do take some amount of pride in being one of the few fans of "The Innocence Mission," I do not snort derisively at those who have never heard of them. (I do, however, question the sanity of people who have heard them and do not like them. Those people don't deserve freedom.)

Those who have known me for quite some time know that I have been a rabid fan of R.E.M since 1991, when I first saw the video for "Losing My Religion" on MTV...back during the days when they aired something besides The Real World, Yo! MTV Raps, and Extreme Closeups of People Who Can't Dance. Throughout the last thirteen years, I have remained a faithful fan, in spite of the occasional vomit-inducing disappointment. I have stood fast in the face of the criticism of those who have encouraged me to let it go. These are, quite often, the same people who have only ever heard Green, Out of Time, Automatic for the People and Monster; rarely have these people been privy to the unadulterated genius of New Adventures in Hi-Fi, the somewhat eccentric sounds of Up or the light, breezy, Beach Boys-inspired sounds of Reveal.

Don't get me wrong...I have no problem with people who simply have different taste in music. If it's not your cup of tea, I can respect that. But to label a band which continues to make innovative changes to their own sound and takes chances with different types of music as a group of has-beens is somewhat unfair. One might not like what they are doing...but what they do, they do well.

I'm also fully prepared to admit that I am somewhat blinded by my adoration for their music...I suppose it's possible that they could release an album that consisted of nothing more than white noise with torture screams emanating faintly from the background, and I would declare it nothing short of genius. But, come to think of it, that might actually sound pretty cool.
posted by Matt @ 11:57 PM


Days of yore

April 2002
May 2002
June 2002
July 2002
August 2002
September 2002
October 2002
November 2002
December 2002
January 2003
February 2003
March 2003
April 2003
May 2003
June 2003
July 2003
August 2003
September 2003
October 2003
November 2003
December 2003
January 2004
February 2004
March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
October 2006
May 2007
July 2007
October 2007
September 2009
Go look at these

Favorite links

More rad links to come!
Credits

Content © Matt Stahl
Currently Reading

I Am America (And So Can You!)
by Stephen Colbert