Some Pig
I haven't had a screen on my bedroom window for nearly three years now. Back in the summer of 2001, the owners had the building restuccoed, and the workers failed to return the screen to its rightful place after they were done. I really don't mind...in fact, I rather enjoy being able to lean out my window and see what's going on around me. (Additionally, I am able to keep an eye on the group of people whom I suspect might be terrorists living in the apartment building across the alley.)
During the summer months, the window is nearly always open, even at night. I'm not particularly worried about bats flying in and gnawing on my face and there really aren't too many mosquitoes in my area. And, since I live on the third floor, I don't really need to worry about people breaking in, save for the occasional cat burglar. But they're normally pretty busy stealing rare diamonds from French museums and stuff, so I think I'm safe.
Occasionally, a few interesting creatures have made their way into my room. Nearly six weeks ago, I walked in to see a rather large green parrot sitting on top of my closet door. Before I could react, it flew out of the window, and any reward that might accompany the capture of such an exotic bird disappeared along with it.
And then, about three weeks ago, there were a few bees that saw fit to enter my room. I was, of course, frozen with the same irrational terror that I always experience around bees, and was virtually unable to move until they left.
Earlier today, I returned home from housesitting in Woodland Hills and discovered that a rather large spider had spun a web right in front of my window. After determining that it would, in fact, be possible to close the window without damaging the web, I debated as to whether or not I should let the spider stay and just close the window so that it doesn't lay eggs in my brain or anything like that.
Eventually I decided that, since it is starting to get colder at night, it was probably time to close the window anyway. So, close it I did- leaving the spider and her home wholly intact.
I imagine it might be interesting to see how long the web lasts, and what kind of creatures the spider is able to capture. Who knows...maybe the spider and I will become lifelong friends.
And maybe she can help me hatch a plan to prevent Farmer Zuckerman from killing me and selling me at the county fair.