Me in the corner.
Sunday, July 17, 2005
The Hotness

As of tomorrow, there are only seven days left of summer school. After July 26, I will have more than a month off, and am trying to think of ways to occupy my time. At first, I had planned on heading over to Europe for a couple of weeks, but the cost of plane tickets and the current exchange rates put a damper on that. I also briefly entertained the idea of traveling to someplace in Central America...such as Belize or Costa Rica, but eventually decided that now is not the best time to be spending the money, as there are debts and other things to take care of.

So, I think I'll be sticking around California next month... probably make a trip or two down to the San Diego area, and maybe head up north for awhile on another soul-searching journey, like the one I made in 2002.

I'd also like to take advantage of the time off and see many of the sights in Los Angeles that I have neglected to see over the last five years. Believe it or not, I've never been to the Getty or LACMA or MOCA or even the rather cheesy La Brea Tar Pits.

Summer school has been just as dull as I said it was during my last post. I ended up having to spend almost two weeks covering nothing but fractions and the adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing of such. Most of them didn't have trouble with multiplying and dividing...but adding and subtracting threw many of them into confusion, and left me feeling inadequate as an educator as I struggled to get them to understand why and how one finds the lowest common denominator. Eventually, most of them got it...although the cynic in my wonders how many of them will still remember in September.

So, last weekend, I made a brief foray up to the fair city of Fresno, in order to attend my cousin's 30th birthday party. I left Friday after work, and returned home late Sunday afternoon, around 6:00. It was a good time, but being around all my married cousins with all their children was indeniably frustrating, as I continually had to dodge questions about when exactly am I going to get married.

I finally saw Batman Begins this weekend, having not had much time for movies as of late. I have to say: I loved the hell out of this movie. Batman Begins was everything that the original Batman should have been, and more. What amused me even more was the manner in which the creators of Batman Begins pretty much completely ignored the other four films in terms of continuity. It's almost as if the creators of this film knew that their product was far better than any of the others and didn't have to bother with making this one fit. As far as I'm concerned, those other four films never even happened. Christian Bale's Batman was far more intense and far more believable than Michael Keaton, Val Kilmer and the extremely laughable George Clooney.

It has been extremely hot over the last couple of weeks here in Los Angeles, with temperatures occasionally reaching into the high 90s. It's supposed to get even hotter next week as well. I honestly cannot stand the intense heat- particularly not in my crappy little shit hole apartment, which is normally ten degrees hotter than whatever the temperature is outside.

So, I imagine that about covers my life over the last three weeks. This week I will be trying to get kids to understand how to find the area of triangles and circles. Wish me luck.
posted by Matt @ 5:09 PM


Days of yore

April 2002
May 2002
June 2002
July 2002
August 2002
September 2002
October 2002
November 2002
December 2002
January 2003
February 2003
March 2003
April 2003
May 2003
June 2003
July 2003
August 2003
September 2003
October 2003
November 2003
December 2003
January 2004
February 2004
March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
October 2006
May 2007
July 2007
October 2007
September 2009
Go look at these

Favorite links

More rad links to come!
Credits

Content © Matt Stahl
Currently Reading

I Am America (And So Can You!)
by Stephen Colbert