Meeting People Is EasyThe post break-up life is never an easy adjustment. Often, one finds oneself with time and energy that had previously been spent focused on somebody else. In such a situation, for better or worse, one must expel that energy, lest he be driven insane from boredom, frustration, and a whole host of other things.
In an effort to keep my sanity, I have recently begun to expand my social circle, which had been dwindling. I have been contacting people to whom I have not spoken in quite sometime and have even begun to practice talking to strangers. A long standing rule of mine has been not to talk to people I don't know... One might wonder how I ever had any friends at all, but I somehow managed. Perhaps it's because I'm just so damn likable.
Some of you have no doubt received a phone call or e-mail from me recently and, if you haven't, chances are you will. Unless you don't live in my area...in which case, you probably won't hear from me until I am planning on being in your neck of the woods. (Or if I don't know you...you probably won't get a call then, either.) So far, I have been fortunate in that all the people whom I have contacted have remembered me. There haven't been any awkward silences as the person on the other line has searched their memory to figure out exactly who I am.
"Matt Stahl? Didn't you move to Bogota? Or was it Buenos Aires?"
In order to facilitate this expansion, I have done the unthinkable. I have done the one thing that most of you probably believed I would never do. I purchased a cell phone.
I have been doling out the number rather slowly, not quite ready to jump feet first into the "Everybody Is Able to Get In Touch with Me at Anytime" circle. I thought about sending out one of those mass e-mails to everybody I know, promising a shiny new nickle to the first person who called me. But, I decided I would just let the number disseminate naturally. That approach always seems to work best.