Me in the corner.
Saturday, March 18, 2006
My Life in Boxes

Seven months ago, my roommate and I moved from our run down apartment with holes in the walls to one that was in slightly better shape. This move was temporary, so that the landlord could renovate and refurbish our old apartment and we could move back in. Today, we did just that.

My room in the temporary apartment was significantly smaller than the one I have here. Consequently, many of my belongings have been packed away in one box or another for the last seven months as I was living in a room in which I could barely even turn around and had to climb over things to move around.

This evening, I was sorting through the many boxes that have been gathering dust in the temporary apartment. In them I found many items that made me wonder why I still have them. I'm a bit of a pack rat, in many ways. I have a tendency to hold on to things, long after the reason for me having them is gone. Most of the time, I'm just not really sure what to do with things. It's not that any of these items have any utility anymore, but I always ask myself if I really want to give up the experience of finding a particular item and remembering, "Oh yeah...this is from that time that I..."

In one box, for example, I found the following: A birthday card signed by all my former coworkers at The Shoah Foundation, my Eurail pass from 1998, a fake check I'd written to myself for one hundred million dollars, an address list of many of the people I met in Kosovo, a stack of my business cards from when I worked at UCLA, a Saturday school notice given to a friend of mine in 1991...and so on.

The question is...do any of these things really do me any good right now? All night I have been forcing myself to throw some items out...no matter how much I think I might want to keep my receipt from my 2002 stay at the Hotel Europa in Bonn, Germany, or that anthropology essay I wrote on the Dobe !Kung back in 1993, it really does me no good.

Moving back in here today...going through these boxes...it has made me take stock of certain things and caused me to do a bit of self-reflection. I'm not saying that there have been any life changing epiphanies or anything like that. All I did was move apartments. But...I don't think I need this coaster from my 28th birthday party anymore.
posted by Matt @ 10:05 PM


Days of yore

April 2002
May 2002
June 2002
July 2002
August 2002
September 2002
October 2002
November 2002
December 2002
January 2003
February 2003
March 2003
April 2003
May 2003
June 2003
July 2003
August 2003
September 2003
October 2003
November 2003
December 2003
January 2004
February 2004
March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
October 2006
May 2007
July 2007
October 2007
September 2009
Go look at these

Favorite links

More rad links to come!
Credits

Content © Matt Stahl
Currently Reading

I Am America (And So Can You!)
by Stephen Colbert