My WeekendSince I updated twice in the last week, I thought I'd continue the trend and see if I could get anybody besides Tisra to read it. Once upon a time, my readership was more numerous than the menu choices at In 'N Out Burger. Perhaps I can get it there again.
This weekend, I drove down to the San Diego area in order to attend the a party in honor of Adam and Alicia's one year old daughter, Katja. (If you click the link on the left that says "My Pictures" it will take you to the photographs I took while there. Also, you can peruse all the other action-packed pictures that I have taken.)
The party was held at a park in the city of San Marcos, outside in the hot, hot sun. Fortunately, though, there was a covered area in which we could seek refuge from the harsh yellow face that burns us.
There were a few people at the party whom I had not seen in a long time. Jeremy Baker, a former roommate of mine and friend from days of yore, was there, along with his wife and two children. Adam's brother Kevin and his wife were there as well. Also, Shane and Erika...but I have seen them recently.
In spite of the heat, Shane, Jeremy, Kevin and I participated in a game of Bocce ball that was complicated by the length of the grass and by the fact that none of us were all that clear on the rules. I was in the lead for most of the game, but eventually lost the match to Jeremy. By the end of it, we had pretty much just given up, due to the oppressive heat.
After the party, I ended up at Adam and Alicia's house, where I spent the night (because they have an extra bed and I wouldn't have had to sleep on the couch) and then drove home this morning.
I have been taking full advantage of my netflix subscription this summer (having gotten almost nothing out of it during the school year). Presently, I have the movie Tron, which I only vaguely remember from seeing it in the theater in 1982. I watched about half of it today, but then got distracted by something else and will have to finish it up tomorrow.
I've also been watching the DVDs for the HBO series "Curb Your Enthusiasm" that stars Larry David, creator of Seinfeld. Because I don't have HBO, I had never really been able to watch it. But I must say that this show is comedy gold. It takes a while to get used to but, once you get it, it is hysterical.
The departure date for my trip is fast approaching. I have an appointment with my doctor this Tuesday to get some anti-malarial pills. My hiking training continues, but the intense heat has made me have to slow down a bit with it.
To give you an idea of how things are here, I am writing this post at 10:00 at night. Current temperature outside: 84 degrees. Current temperature in my room: 90 degrees. All I can really hope for is that I'll be able to make it through the night without dying from heat exhaustion.