Me in the corner.
Sunday, August 20, 2006
The Mattercycle Diaries:
A Journey Through Latin America, Part 2


I left La Fortuna on Wednesday morning, after hiring a van service to transport me to the remote mountain village of Santa Elena. The van picked me up at my hotel at 8:00 in the morning and drove me, along with several other passengers, to nearby Lake Arenal, where we boarded a boat and were transferred to the other side. There we were met by more vans and driven, over very rocky roads, to Santa Elena.

This is a small town that seems to survive on tourism, cheese and coffee. It was actually founded in the 1950s by a combination of American Quakers who left the United States in protest against the Korean War and some local farmers. There is not a single paved road in the entire village, which makes for very uncomfortable rides to and from town.

In Santa Elena, I opted for one of the really cheap budget accommodations, which was ten dollars a night. My room was certainly not clean, smelled really bad, had no hot water and was filled with moths and ants. However, since I was only staying two nights, I decided that I would just make the best of it. This hotel had pulled a sort of bait and switch. The picture on the front was obviously photoshopped, and promised both hot water and cable TV...and had neither of those.

After getting settled in, I explored the town and then arranged to go on a night hike in the jungle to see all the nocturnal animals. Sadly, there were not too many out that night. I saw a few raccoons (boring, since we have those in the United States) a coati (which is actually a daytime animal and was just out past his bedtime), a tarantula, several katydids, a walking stick, and two huge wolf spiders, which are capable of jumping six feet.

The next morning, because my arm was hurting so much, I decided to go ahead and see the local doctor. She examined my arm and told me that it was not broken, and told me to keep it in a sling for three days and gave me some medicine. (I did not follow her directions on the sling, but have been taking the medicine.) While I was at the doctor, this guy who works there invited me to go to a local coffee shop that night to see some guy from Argentina who plays the sitar.

After leaving the doctor, I went to the cloud forest at Selvatura Park, where they have these suspended bridges that are way up in the canopy. I spent about two hours hiking on their trails but, sadly, still did not see very much wildlife.

That evening, I decided to take the guy from the doctor's office up on his offer and went to the cafe, where the Sitar guy was playing. I was far away from the tourist section of town, and was the only gringo in the entire place. I was getting a real taste of the local scene. (Incidentally, I also had to wear the sling while I was at the cafe because the doctor who examined me was one of the people I was hanging out with and I didn't want her to know that I was disregarding her medical advice.)

Early the next morning, I was picked up by a van service to be transported to Samara Beach (I am writing this post less than half a mile from one of the most amazing beaches I have ever seen.) The van services (called Turismos) are efficient and a good way to get around if you do not have a car. However, I have noticed that they do not always seem to plan things out that well. I have been in some Turismos where they cram 12 people into a tiny van made for ten and then, for part of my journey to Santa Elena, I was the only person riding in a 25 passenger bus.

After about four hours, I arrived at Samara beach and checked into a much nicer hotel, called the Casa del Mar, which is directly across the street from the beach. After getting settled, I went over and went swimming and met a group of people who were staying in the hotel. They have rented a nearby villa and we have developed a little social circle. Friday night, we went out for some of the nightlife and, I must admit, I overdid it quite a bit. I drank way too much but made it safely back to my hotel and actually felt (mostly) ok the next morning.

So, here I am at the beach, where I think I am going to stay until next Friday. There is a very active social scene here and even an anti-social recluse like me is getting to know people.

Now I am off to swim and spend the day on the beach (provided it doesn't rain like it did yesterday afternoon. If you want to know where I am, do a google image search for Samara Beach (the connection speed here is too slow to upload any pictures.) Later this week I am going to do snorkeling, kayaking, and maybe even try my hand at surfing. I was born and raised in Southern California and have never been on a surfboard in my life. Might as well give it a shot.

Hasta luego.
posted by Matt @ 8:17 AM


Days of yore

April 2002
May 2002
June 2002
July 2002
August 2002
September 2002
October 2002
November 2002
December 2002
January 2003
February 2003
March 2003
April 2003
May 2003
June 2003
July 2003
August 2003
September 2003
October 2003
November 2003
December 2003
January 2004
February 2004
March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
October 2006
May 2007
July 2007
October 2007
September 2009
Go look at these

Favorite links

More rad links to come!
Credits

Content © Matt Stahl
Currently Reading

I Am America (And So Can You!)
by Stephen Colbert