Me in the corner.
Wednesday, August 09, 2006
Vaya Con Dios, Mis Amigos

Well at 9:19 this morning, I will be boarding a plane and heading off to the country of Costa Rica. In the past, my travels abroad have taken me to different regions of Europe, with the exception of the time I traveled to New Zealand in 1999. Since I have not left the United States since July 2004, when I returned from a trip to Kosovo and London, I decided that it was time for me to check out another region of the world.

After considering the matter for about ten minutes, I decided that I wanted to go to Latin America and, after another ten minutes, chose to visit Costa Rica. Already, I am discovering how different this region is than other places I have been. In most of Europe, you can travel hundreds of miles by train with no trouble at all.

In Costa Rica, however, it can sometimes take as much as 8 hours to travel 50 miles. So, all the books I have been reading have recommended picking one or two regions and spending your trip exploring them. I am flying into the Guanacaste regional capital, Liberia. This is closer to the region that I wanted to go to and was actually a little cheaper than flying into San José.

I have the first couple days mapped out. I am going to spend one full day in Liberia before heading off to the Rincón de la Vieja Volcano National Park, where I plan to spend several days hiking around the rain forests, doing zip-line canopy tours, visiting the volcano, and rejuvenating my weary soul in the natural hot springs. There is not much to do in Liberia, but I want to spend a day getting a feel for the culture and the locals, rather than being one of those people who speaks loudly in English and gets indignant when they don't understand me

I have not yet decided where I will be going after I am done with the park. I am considering the village of Samara, which is located right on the Pacific Ocean. Apparently there are these grass hut bungalow things right on the beach there where one can stay for as little as 15 dollars a night.

(See...that's another reason I chose not to go to Europe this summer. 15 dollars a night for a room right on the beach, as opposed to 70 dollars a night for a squalid hotel room in the Earl's Court neighborhood of London.)

I have also told my parents that I am traveling there to start a revolution, in order to continue the work begun by Che Guevara. I say these things primarily just to get under my dad's skin...pontificating about how, for too long, the poor people of Latin America have been alienated from the product of their labor and how, at last, it is time for the dialectic of wealth and poverty to reach their violent conclusion. It is time for the revolution to begin!

The look on my dad's face when I say these things is priceless.

For my travel reading, I have picked up a copy of The Motorcycle Diaries (I know he was farther south, but he fought for all of Latin America...and so shall I!)

Perhaps I will publish my own reflections on my journey- maybe I could call it The Mattercycle Diaries?

Anyway, that's all for now. My next post will no doubt be written as I am skillfully dodging feces hurled at me by a disgruntled howler monkey.

Until then.
posted by Matt @ 12:34 AM


Days of yore

April 2002
May 2002
June 2002
July 2002
August 2002
September 2002
October 2002
November 2002
December 2002
January 2003
February 2003
March 2003
April 2003
May 2003
June 2003
July 2003
August 2003
September 2003
October 2003
November 2003
December 2003
January 2004
February 2004
March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
October 2006
May 2007
July 2007
October 2007
September 2009
Go look at these

Favorite links

More rad links to come!
Credits

Content © Matt Stahl
Currently Reading

I Am America (And So Can You!)
by Stephen Colbert