Don't Worry, I'm AliveWell, it has been quite a while since I have posted anything. A little more than two months, to be exact. It wasn't intentional...it's just that I got home from Costa Rica at about 2 am on August 29, and had to be back at work on August 30. Since then, things have been going almost non-stop. Every once in a while, I have politely reminded myself, "You really should update your blog before the memories of the final week of your adventures are lost forever."
To be honest, though...there is really not that much to tell about the last week, as it was spent sitting on the beach, swimming in the ocean, snorkeling, and enjoying the casual night life in the small village.
While I was there, I did form friendships with a group of Americans from Colorado who had rented a house outside of town. I tried my hand at surfing (which did not go too well, I'm afraid) and kayaked on the open ocean out to an island off the coast. I did all of this with my bad arm, too. It wasn't broken after all...but it was still pretty much useless for nearly eight weeks. Anyway...all the pictures from my trip have now been posted online (including a photo of the rare and elusive urban iguana.)
The school year is going very well so far. I can tell all the areas that I have vastly improved over last year (namely, classroom management) and am better at explaining the more confusing topics in a manner that 12 year olds can understand. Also, I am much better at getting assignments graded and returned in a timely manner. Although this sometimes happens at the cost of my social life, which has been quite slow since school started. This weekend, for example, I have been frantically grading a bunch of assignments for the honors classes so that they can have them back in time to study for the test this week.
This past week I suffered a severe blow to my savings account, as my car required $1,180 in repair. The power steering pump and the alternator both broke at the same time. The worst part of it all, though, was the fact that I had to drive around in a Dodge Neon for two days. I guess I should just be grateful that the dealership paid for the rental car. I guess they felt bad for me.
Still...I have had the car for more than four years now, and this is the first thing that has ever gone wrong with it. I just wish it had been something less expensive.
At least the Johnson rod didn't break.