Me in the corner.
Saturday, July 21, 2007
Restoring the Past

Ok, that title is a little melodramatic, I confess. But, after many sessions of fooling around with the blogger template, I was finally able to figure out how to restore all of my archives without completely revamping my entire template to one of the stupid stock templates provided by blogger.

So, feel free to browse back through the days of yore and relive my days working under OMG at The ALC or my trials of student teaching and credential coursework at Cal State Northridge. Chuckle with glee as you experience once again my adventures at Oktoberfest, and marvel once more at my travels through Central America.

As you are no doubt aware, it is currently the middle of summer. We in Southern California have been enjoying a remarkably mild July, with temperatures hovering in the mid-80s most of the time. There was one week where it crested in the high 90s but, to the best of my knowledge, Pasadena has not yet hit the triple digits this summer.

My summer has been mostly uneventful thus far. Aside from a trip to the San Francisco area for my cousin's wedding, little has occurred. I have been teaching summer school, once again struggling with the frustrations of teaching remedial math. Day after day of exchanges such as this:

Me: Ok, so now we need to find a common denominator for 5 and 3. Anybody know what is is?
Class: *awkward silence*
Me: Guys, we just did this yesterday.
Class: *awkward silence*
Me: Remember, we want the smallest number divisible by 5 and 3.
Class: *awkward silence*
Me: That means the smallest number that they both go into...
*Brave 6th grade girl raises her hand*
Me: Yes?
Brave Girl: 12?
Me: Ummm...no...3 goes into 12, but not 5...
Class: *awkward silence*
Me: 3 goes into 12 4 times...so keep counting by 3's...
Some Boy: 15?
Me: Excellent! So, how do we change four-fifths and two-thirds into fifteenths.
Class: *awkward silence*

(Repeat day after day for 5 weeks.)

Thankfully, summer school will be finished this Tuesday and I will not have to deal with this again until Sepetember...by which time, I hope that my love of teaching will have been restored.

Once summer school is out, I will be hanging around Pasadena and Fullerton until August 11 when Kristy and I will be driving to Grand Junction, Colorado, so that I can meet her dad and stepmom. She's already had the pleasure of meeting my dad in June of this year and will get to meet my mom in September.

In other family news (and to serves as an update to demonstrate how fast time passes) my niece Alyson will be starting high school this fall. I believe she'll be going to Temecula Valley High School, but I am not sure. I can't really fathom the idea that she is in high school now...and I am sure many of you reading this are astounded by that fact.

Well, I need to start getting ready for a wedding that we are going to this evening. Just wanted to give an update, now that my archives have been restored.
posted by Matt @ 1:26 PM


Days of yore

April 2002
May 2002
June 2002
July 2002
August 2002
September 2002
October 2002
November 2002
December 2002
January 2003
February 2003
March 2003
April 2003
May 2003
June 2003
July 2003
August 2003
September 2003
October 2003
November 2003
December 2003
January 2004
February 2004
March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
October 2006
May 2007
July 2007
October 2007
September 2009
Go look at these

Favorite links

More rad links to come!
Credits

Content © Matt Stahl
Currently Reading

I Am America (And So Can You!)
by Stephen Colbert