FireWell, it seems another few months have gone by without any posts. This summer I took a trip to Utah and Colorado to visit my cousin and meet Kristy's family. When I got back, I wrote this really lengthy post about it and intended to post it here, but something went wrong with my computer and the entire thing was lost. I really didn't feel like rewriting it, so I just let it go.
Eventually, I tired of my nearly 5 year old computer and purchased myself one of those fancy new 24-inch iMac's. Like everything else on Earth, it was made in China and sent to me via FedEx. As far as I know, there are no large amounts of lead or polonium in it. It's bigger than my stupid little TV, so I actually watch all my movies on this now, and will continue to do so until I finally cave in and purchase a big-ass HDTV. That's a few months away, probably.
Anyway, the big news here is, of course, the many fires raging across Southern California. I am perfectly safe here in Pasadena, and Kristy is safely tucked away in Fullerton. I am afraid that my hometown of Fallbrook has not fared as well. The fire actually entered the town and, for those of you who are familiar with the area, it's not good news. As I understand it, Live Oak Park is pretty much gone. I am pretty sure that my parents' house is safe, but my sister-in-law's parents might not have fared so well. Google has updated fire maps, and it looks like their home is very close to the burn area...although it might be on the outskirts.
I am planning on going down to the area to have a look around (hey, if the President can do it, why can't I?). I am sure it will be weird to see all these places I grew up with possibly forever changed. I'm just glad my parents didn't lose their home.